If you don't know the story line of Oliver Twist, here is a quick summary. In the Nineteenth Century, the orphan Oliver Twist is sent to a workhouse, where the children are barely fed and mistreated. He is sold to a house of an undertaker, after asking for more food at the workhouse. After he realizes he is very unwelcome he runs away to London. He arrives exhausted and starving, and is welcomed by a gang of pickpockets lead by the old crook Fagin. He meets Nancy, a young woman who started out pickpocketing for Fagin at a very young age. When Oliver is mistakenly taken as a thief, the wealthy victim Mr. Brownlow brings Oliver to his home and shelters him. But Fagin and the dangerous Bill Sykes decide to force Nancy to kidnap Oliver back worried that he will tell about them and their little group of pickpockets. Nancy goes to Mr. Brownlow and tries to help him get Oliver back, but Bill Sykes stops them. In the end, Oliver gets to go back with Mr. Brownlow, who ends up being his uncle.
So I played a very fun character. From the first time I enter the stage I am supposed to be feisty.....and rather rude at times to Oliver and my family. In my scenes, my husband Mr. Sowerberry and I are trying to decided if we want to take in this little orphan boy and we decide that he would fit the part and then we sing a song called, "That's Your Funeral."we laugh and act like we are so happy when people die because that is our way of earing a living. Then in the second scene, there is a fight between Oliver and Noah a boy who works for us. Then my daughter Charlotte and I come out and grab Oliver and throw him into a coffin. Then I get water thrown on me and then Oliver gets pulled out and is going to be taken back to the workhouse by Mr. Bumble and then Oliver pushes me into the coffin. Two very fun scenes. Here are some of my (and others in the play) favorite lines: "Henry really, it takes you twice as long to do anything as anyone else." "Bring up some of the cold bits we put out for the dog, it hasn't been in all day so it can go without 'em. I daresay the boy isn't too dainty to eat 'em, are ya boy?" "....you don't mind sleeping among coffins I suppose. But it doesn't matter much whether you do or you don't, 'cuz you can't sleep no where else." "Never in ALLL, MYYY, LIIIFFEE!!" "Well, and what if he did, you little ungrateful wretch. She probably deserved what was said and worse." Aren't those evil sounding......here are some of my favs while we sing from the song: "We're just here to glamorize you for that endless sleep. You might just as well look fetching when you're six feet deep." "We don't harbor thoughts macabre, there's no need to frown. In the end we'll either burn you up or nail you down. We love coughs and wheezes and diseases called incurable. That's your funeral, no one else's funeral, That's yoooouuuuur funeral!!" We are the funny, creepy couple.
I bet it is hard to picture me saying stuff like that but I did and it was soooo fun! I have a few pictures of me and Mr. Sowerberry and of course I got our coffin too.
4 comments:
When was the play? I would have come. I'm sure you did an excellent job. Next time, let us people who are not in your stake know these things. Love ya!
Jill-I never knew that you liked to act. You sure looked like you had a great time!! Jessie
I haven't ever acted before. I didn't know that I liked it. But I guess I do. Arah....it was Nov. 15-17. Sorry I didn't bring it up, I just thought you were a little overwhelmed with all you had going on.
Oh Jill was amazing. She stole the show...you didn't know she could be so evil like, did you? I was shocked at how well she was 'awful'...such a naughty character. It was great fun. I think the reason Jill likes to act...is she doesn't feel like it is 'her' on stage and so it is less frightening. She is so good! And, um she has an amazing voice and she she sings, oh my. Beautiful...well in this play naughty beautiful.
Miss A
Post a Comment