Saturday, November 04, 2006

Nacho Libre

The reasons Jack Black in Nacho Libre sent me gasping for air as I was laughing so hard:

1- It is set in Oaxaca Mexico. Many of the little amusing things about Mexican culture (that I grew to love) were captured and used correctly to make this screaming funny.

2- It knows it is pure silliness, and stays on that road the whole movie. It doesn't try to make some ethical point, or pull some moral out of the story.

3- The butchered Mexican accents used by many of the main cast.

This movie didn't just hit my funny bone, it struck it with such amazing force, I literally had to pause it in order for my wife to be able to hear it, as I was laughing so loud. My sides hurt.

Some of the best quotes/moments:

"Be grateful Juan Pablo, today is especially delicious."

"Are you aware that I have had diarrhea since Easters?"

“So anyways, let’s get down to the nitty gritty.”

No swear words, no sexual content, just good, clean, 13 year old fun.

I loved it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In reference to reason number 1: When he goes to do the 'priestly duties' to the 'dying' man, I had tears I was laughing so hard.

Anonymous said...

I probably wouldn't like it...BUT I would really like to watch it with my Mexican kids. Mum

Anonymous said...

You need to tell Ryan how much you like this stupid movie. He absolutely loves it ALSO!!!! bev